The name Australind was coined by its founders, the Western Australian Company, from a contraction of Australia and India. The Australind Heritage Trail passes by historically important cottages, parks, cemeteries and churches, including the St Nicholas Church, believed to be Australia's smallest place of worship. The following sights can be visited along the trail.
1. Henton Cottage - Paris Rd (originally 'The Prince of Wales Hotel')
Opposite St Nicholas Church is of historic interest. Built in 1841 by William Dacres Williams as the "Prince of Wales Hotel". Its Original two rooms came from England as a prefabricated building. Heritage Roses that add to its appeal surround the gardens. Henton Cottage now houses a Tourist Information Centre, arts crafts and collectable antiques.
2. The Church of St Nicholas - Paris Rd
Approximately 2km north of Henton Cottage on Old Coast Road.
An interesting reminder of the early days is the historic Church of St Nicholas opposite Henton Cottage.
Built by James Narroway in 1840's circa as a small workman's hut where he lived with his wife Sarah. Later in 1848, it was used for a church and on the festival of St Nicholas in 1993, the church became a parish in it's own right then converted to a Congressional Chapel by John Allnutt (whose home can be seen nearby) prior to 1860's and dedicated to the Church of England in 1915. Made of Jarrah and measuring only 3.8 × 6.7m, it claims the distinction of being the smallest church in Western Australia. It was the only building then available for settlers to use as a place of worship.
3. Upton House - Upton Pl
Built in 1844/5 for Mrs. Elizabeth Fry. The original building bricks are believed to have been cargo or ballast on the "Trusty" during her second voyage to Australind in 1844.
Private residence. (not open to the public)
4. Memorial Seat - Old Coast Rd
Situated 800 metres north of Henton Cottage on Old Coast Road. A stone memorial seat located on the site of the landing of the first settlers in 1840. A plaque showing the original town plan and memorial to early pioneer's and ships.
5. Pioneer Park - Opposite memorial seat
First planted circa 1843 by Lucy, Rachel and Caroline Clifton. Two of the three peppermint trees still stand plus a fig tree brought from Tenerife Island in 1841.
6. Cathedral Avenue - Scenic Drive 3.4 km
Scenic Drive - 3.4 km. This was the original Old Coast road. Although the road has been altered in parts, the paperbark trees can still be admired arching over the road in a cathedral like manner.
7. John Boyle O'Reilly Memorial Monument - Buffalo Rd - 11.6km Buffalo Road - 11.6 km.
In 1803 Lieutenant de Freycinet on board the ‘Casurina’ sighted a rocky point which was part of what is known now as Koombana Bay. On entering the Bay he discovered an inlet which he named ‘Leschenault’ after the expedition's botanist. John Boyle O’Reilly was one of 62 Irish Political prisoners among 279 convicts who arrived at Fremantle in 1868. He was a member of the Fenian Movement, an organisation dedicated to achieving an independent Irish Republic. O’Reilly escaped from this area whilst working as a member of a convict road crew near Bunbury. He hid in the dense peppermint woodland with the help of a local family. O’Reilly made his escape aboard an American Whaler, the ‘Gazelle’ on 3 March 1869. Before settling in Boston he assisted 6 Fenian political prisoners in their escape from Fremantle Prison aboard the ‘Catalpa’. He became a well known humanitarian, poet, writer and orator. A granite monument erected to O’Reilly stands at the northern entry to the Leschenault Peninsular Park.
Following European Settlement the Peninsular was mostly used for stock grazing. In 1838 Thomas Little purchased 741.4 hectares on Leschenault Peninsula on behalf of Charles Prinsep, and named the homestead Belvidere in honor of the Prinsep mansion in Calcutta. Little managed the property to raise horses and cattle for the Indian Army. In the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s, Belvidere became a commune for alternative lifestyler's, with up to 14 houses. A granite monument to; John O Reilly, Irishman, soldier, convict, poet, author and lecturer.
John Boyle O'Reilly Wetland Trail - Leschenault Peninsula Conservation Park
Length: 1km return - Surface: Bitumen and Boardwalk - Difficultly: Easy - Users: Walkers, Prams, Wheelchairs - Facilities: Information Shelter, Tables, Toilets.
Learn more about the plants and animals of this park as you meander through tuart, peppermint and paperbark trees. At the information shelter, discover how the Irish convict John Boyle O'Reilly made his daring escape into the bush here from a ship named the Gazelle in 1869.
8. Australind Cemetery - Old Coast Rd - 2.2km (was Mt. Claremont Cemetery)
Approximately 2.2km north of Henton Cottage on Old Coast Road, on the crest of a limestone hill, the first burial took place on the 13th March 1842, that of Dr Anthony French Carpenter, Medical Officer on board the Barque "Parkfield". Dr. Carpenter was about thirty at the time of his death. This unfortunate event was a year after the arrival of the first settlers. Others buried here are Marshall Walter Clifton and his wife Elinor along with many of their descendants. A special feature in spring is an abundance of wildflowers of all varieties.
Mulgara St, Australind WA 6233